Home | Shopping Cart
Use browser's back button to return to the previous page
English Naval Cannon, Early 19th C
This scarce type of cannon is known as a gunade, which is a cross between a carronade and a regular cannon (gun). The carronade, first made by the Carron Iron Company in Scotland in 1778, offered the advantages of lighter weight, smaller size, and lower cost as compared to traditional cannons of the time. It could fire the same size shot as a larger and more expensive gun, but had a shorter range. The true carronade had a cast pivot ring on the bottom for mounting as opposed to the more common trunions. Most warships of the early 19th C carried larger carronades (from 12-68 pounders) on their main decks. While the carronade was very effective and quite popular for nearly 100 years, a hybrid known as the gunade started appearing around the end of the 18th C. This retained the smaller size, weight, and basic shape of the true carronade, but replaced the pivot ring with trunions. This required a normal naval carriage instead of the simpler one used on carronades, but was generally more effective. The gunade was in use from about 1800-1840, with some remaining in arsenals at the time of the American Civil War. This example would have likely been carried on a merchant vessel and was designed to fire a hollow shot at close range. Cast iron 40" barrel, weighing 210 pounds, with 2 1/2" bore, integral trunions, moldings, and round cascabel with breeching loop; marked with raised crown and "2" on the breech. Mounted on an antique teak(?) 4-wheeled naval carriage with iron mounts. Pivoting trunnion caps with securing wedges attached to the carriage with small chains. Barrel painted black; carriage with a protective oil finish for outside display. Similar, though somewhat larger, gunades can be found at Fort Ticonderoga in New York. Total weight of gun is 260 pounds. Listed price includes motor freight shipping to the contiguous 48 US states and Canada.
Click here for Currency Conversion