Home | Shopping Cart
Use browser's back button to return to the previous page
Iroquois Spiked Tomahawk from Niagara Falls Museum, 18th C
This early spiked tomahawk was originally displayed at the Niagara Falls Museum, Canada's oldest museum, founded in 1827. The museum closed its doors to the public in 1999 and the tomahawk was later sold. This double-eared tomahawk features hand forged spade blade, oval-section spike with a slight downward curve, and elliptical eye with seam marks; mounted on its original ash handle. Head is 7 1/2" long, with 16" handle. Included is a signed letter of authenticity from Bill Jamieson, director and researcher at the museum. Also included is a copy of "Cataract News", 1993, Niagara Falls newspaper, with articles about the museum. This tomahawk is shown in Lar Hothem's book "Ornamental Indian Artifacts", page 392. This rare example was no doubt traded to the upper New York State Iroquois Federation of tribes. The magnificent forged head shows signs of usage and a dark rich patina. Haft shows some checking and rich age patina. One of the finest spiked tomahawks from Tom Richardsí vast collection. Very early style, not fancy and made just for killing.
Click here for Currency Conversion