Home | Shopping Cart
Use browser's back button to return to the previous page
Scarce 1857 Remington/Frankford Arsenal Maynard Conversion Navy Rifle
Remington Arms completed a contract for 20,000 Maynard primed locks and percussion bolsters between 1855 and 1859 which were supplied to the Frankford Arsenal in Philadelphia. These were used on various makes of the M1816 flintlock musket to bring it up to modern standards with rifled barrels, Maynard primed percussion locks, and long range leaf sights. The vast majority of these featured the original .69 caliber 42" barrel with three barrel bands, but this example is of typical Navy length with a 32" rifled barrel and two barrel bands. Six hundred of these were delivered to the US Navy in 1857, of which this is likely an example. Rear of lockplate marked "REMINGTON’S / ILION / N.Y. / 1857 / U.S.". Barrel is unmarked and features an adjustable leaf sight marked to 400 yards, with a fixed blade front sight mounted on the front barrel band. Inspector’s mark "0" is stamped on many of the iron parts, with "US" on the buttplate tang. Walnut stock with faint cartouche opposite the lock; sound and showing minor handling marks. Most metal parts smooth with minor pitting, with heavier pitting at the breech. Lock and priming system works smoothly. Overall length 47 1/2". Scarce arsenal conversion rifle which likely saw service during the Civil War.
Click here for Currency Conversion